Dear Chicago Cubs:
I care about you.. I really do.. that’s why I have to say this. (again…). LaTroy Hawkins is not, I repeat not a closer. Stop treating him like he is. Here’s the situation: Your starter took you into the 9th, and we’re winning. Yes, it’s a save opportunity, and yes, your starter might be slowing down…but if you want to win, then you’re going to have to follow these simple rules:
- Do not put in LaTroy Hawkins. He’s a setup man, not a closer. You proved that last year. This year, you’re just being cruel to him, and to us. You have to admit you have a problem.
- You didn’t bother to get a closer during the off season, but we’ll let that slide. You must have though Borowski would be the man. But you’re going to have to try harder now. If there’s someone available, you should give that man money and make him wear your uniform. Talk to Detroit, I think they have 8 or 9 closers at this point.
- Let your pitchers pitch the whole thing. If they say they’ve had enough, let them sit. But if they’re sitting around the 105 mark, and have 1 inning left to finish it off, just let them. Then, if they lose, at least they lost it themselves, and not because some other guy can’t get three outs without giving up 3 runs.
- Make sure Lee gets as many at-bats as possible. He’s on fire. Putting him 6th is idiotic. Put him #3. That way, when you get to the 9th inning, you’ve got more runs. More runs means a better chance of winning. That’s Baseball 101 right there.
- Stop losing games that you’ve already won. If you’re up 5 runs in the 1st inning, you should not lose. If you’re up 2 in the 9th, that should be a win. You’re killing me.. you’re honestly making me die on the inside.
Anyway, I hope that helps. Hugs and kisses.