Okay, I bought the Die Hard Trilogy the other day, so this is in honor of that. We’ve got a number of so called “Overspill” problems, then a timing one I really liked (and struggled with for a while, because my brain is damaged.) The overspills are worth 3 points, and the timing one is 5.. so you can pick up 20 points here, or 25 if you’re first.
- You have a 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon bucket. Unlimited water supply. Measure exactly 4 gallons. [If you are wrong, the bomb will explode.]
- You have a 9 gallon bucket and a 4 gallon bucket. Unlimited water supply. Measure exactly 6 gallons.
- You have a 4 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon bucket. Unlimited water supply. Measure exactly 2 gallons.
- You have a 7 gallon bucket, a 4 gallon bucket, and a 3 gallon bucket. The 7 gallon bucket is full. You have no extra water. You must end up with exactly 2 gallons in two of the buckets and 3 gallons in the remaining bucket.
- You have an 8 gallon bucket filled with 5 gallons of water, a 5 gallon bucket filled with 3 gallons of water, and a 3 gallon bucket filled with 2 gallons of water. In two “moves”, how can you end up with exactly 1 gallon in one of the buckets?
You have a 7 minute sandglass, and a 4 minute sandglass. How can you accurately measure 9 minutes?