A few people have questioned my use of a cover version of a song rather than the original, and that got me thinking of songs where I prefer the cover to the original. Here’s my list:
- Mrs. Robinson: I prefer The Lemonheads’ version to the Simon and Garfunkel original, though I think both are good.
- Somebody: I think the Veruca Salt version of this song is tons better than the Depeche Mode original. The Veruca Salt version has been one of my favorite songs for the longest time.
- Mad World: I think few can deny that Gary Jules‘s cover of this Tears for Fears song is nothing short of wonderful. This might well be my favorite cover.
- The Man Who Sold The World: Nirvana played this song during their MTV Unplugged appearance. The David Bowie is a bit too 80’s for my taste.
- Overkill: Lazlo Bane did a cover of this Men at Work song, with Colin Hay showing up to sing along. I think it’s great… easily the best song on the album.
- I Will Survive ( Cake over Gloria Gaynor)
- Higher Ground ( Red Hot Chili Peppers over Stevie Wonder)
- Killing Me Softly ( The Fugees over Roberta Flack)
- I Hung My Head ( Johnny Cash over Sting)
- Madonna, singing American Pie, the Don Mclean classic.
Yeah, I got tired of writing out all those full sentances fairly quickly.. so, here’s a few more after shrinking down the list a bit:
and the worst cover I’ve ever heard: